Who Decides the Land is Sacred?

Who Decides the Land is Sacred? 2017

As this is my first blog/entry I'll start with a brief intro. I'm an artist working across a broad range of processes, mediums and modes (you can see my work at aureolestudios.com) who also has a deep love of visual (concrete) poetry. This blog will not feature my own work per se (well, for the most part) but will feature the works of visual poets whose efforts I've been inspired to appropriate/hijack/hack and respond to. Using Adobe Photoshop I re-visualize their texts using basic digital stop-motion movement, the results are infinitely (usually) looping animations. 

I've been riffing on what I call a .gif economy for three years now and have a backlog of these works that I will share once a week or so and will intersperse these posts with new animations as they are made along with a few thoughts, ruminations and ramblings (or not) on the process and purpose at hand. 

For my first post I've decided to share an "original" work of titled Who Decides the Land is Sacred? 2017. It was inspired by Nisga'a poet Jordan Abel's Cartography 12 and the ongoing conflicts between Indigneous peoples, oil companies and animal rights groups over land and animal rights (as well as the recurring tensions in the Shorthills Park in the Niagara Region). The moving line in the image was harvested from a Vancouver Sun article headline on the Supreme Court of Canada case Ktunaxa Nation versus British Columbia in which the SCC ruled against the Indigenous group. 

If you'd like to view the animation in full-browser size please click HERE.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laura Kerr

Dani Spinosa, OO: